Recipe by Janeva Eickhoff
2 – 4 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
Garlic powder, to taste
- Evenly cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Lay the eggplant halves cut side up on a work surface.
- Crosshatch the eggplant in a diamond pattern by running a knife tip deeply and diagonally left to right down the eggplant about 4 times making sure not to cut through the skin. Repeat the pattern from right to left making a diamond pattern.
- Press the eggplant open with your hand and sprinkle salt into the crevices. Let eggplant rest on work surface for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pick the eggplant up and gently squeeze the water out of it. Wipe and moisture off the surface with a paper towel.
- Brush the surface with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Lay the herb sprigs on a baking sheet and place the eggplant halves on top of them.
- Roast 1 hour. The eggplant will collapse during roasting, take out of the oven and let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Servings: Eggplants come in many sizes, I always weight the eggplant raw and before roasting to figure out the equivalent of 2 cups.
TIP: 1 C. eggplant = 2.9 oz.
For more recipes like this, please join us on Facebook at: Janeva’s Ideal Recipe Cookbook – Phase 1 or http://www.janevasidealrecipes.com for the cookbook featuring 295+ recipes. A portion of the proceeds supports Samuel’s House Foundation, a non-profit charity helping disadvantaged children.