*Interview with Mendy Peterson, PA-C
Hormones are known to be responsible for 25% of weight loss.
What are the markers for when we should have our hormones checked?
Hormones need to be checked between the ages of 30-80. Get hormones checked even if you don’t feel “off,” it will create a baseline for future testing.
Markers Include . . .
- Low Energy
- Having trouble concentrating
- Can’t lose weight
- Waistline is expanding
- Can’t get rid of those last 15 lbs on Ideal Protein
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Feeling “Off”
What is bio-identical hormone therapy?
Bio-identical hormone therapy began in the 1930’s in Australia and Europe and brought to the United States in the 1970’s.
You can get hormone replacement through a pharmaceutical company, a compounding company or through naturals.
Hormones (estrogen and testosterone) can be given through
- Naturals, which is plant or food based.
- Compounding companies, which make a bio identical hormone and the pellet is inserted into the hip (FDA approved).
- Pharmaceutical companies, which provide pharmaceutical strength hormones in pill or cream form.
How does bio-identical therapy create better health?
Bio-identical therapy improves your health by . . .
- Increasing bone health
- Providing dementia prevention
- Improving cardiovascular health
What is the testing process that occurs before hormone replacement is given?
All Patients: Required labs include a thyroid test, CBC test (Complete Blood Count), and FSH test (Follicle Stimulating Hormone).
Males: A PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test and a prostate exam is required. When testosterone is given, it can cause tissue to swell, so you don’t want your PSA to rise.
Females: A mammogram is required.
How do I start the process of discovering if I need hormone therapy?
- Pay attention to how you feel
- Get lab work done
- Go to a specialist; get to the bottom of the problem
What foods help stimulate hormones?
Estrogen foods include . . .
Testosterone foods include . . .
If you have gained weight from the imbalance of hormones and begin therapy, how long before you start to see a loss again?
Within 6 months. This is not a weight loss tool though. Balanced hormones will help you maintain muscle and lose fat over time if you are eating well. Trust the process and give it time.