PODCAST AVAILABLE HERE
Interview with Ed Reardon
Top 3 Mistakes Dieters Make…
- Calories go too low– When you are in ketosis, your body makes a natural appetite suppressant and people tend to not eat enough food. If you aren’t getting enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and you will not lose weight. Maintain the right calorie intake.
- Not controlling your insulin levels – Insulin is the key piece in gaining/losing weight. When doing a ketogenic diet, your insulin levels lessen significantly. Your kidneys then send a signal to the rest of your body to let go of its sodium. The sodium molecules that were once holding water, are no longer holding water. This is the reason you are going to the bathroom 25% more than normal. You have to replace the electrolytes and sodium. If you do not, you will have a more significant keto flu, headaches, nausea, dizziness and lack of energy. Salt is critical to this lifestyle. You need things like kale, spinach and mushrooms which help to replace sodium and electrolytes. If you are not sleeping well while on Ideal Protein, it is because your electrolytes are poor. You must add in more salt while on a ketogenic diet.
- How do we replace the electrolytes and sodium? The main components are sodium, magnesium and potassium. Calcium and magnesium balance each other. If you have too much calcium, you have constipation. If you have too much magnesium you get the runs. Potassium and sodium do the exact same thing and balance each other. You lose a lot of potassium because you are losing a lot of sodium. You need to replace it with pickles, IP soups, IP chips and things like soy sauce. The IP water enhancers aren’t strong electrolyte replacements. Powerade zero is an option to replace electrolytes. It is not always recommended because it isn’t perfect but does contain sodium and potassium.
- IP salt is a great option to replace the potassium and sodium you are losing daily.
- BCAA’s (Branch Chain Amino Acids) are not optional– The 1st 21 days you are not Keto adaptive, so you are losing muscle. The BCAA’s will help you maintain muscle mass especially the 1st 21 days and before you work out. For every pound of muscle you lose you have to take in 50 less calories a day. You do not want to lose muscle.
- Can I work out on this diet? You can, but you must replace the calories lost, you have to replace the electrolytes lost and drink your BCAA’s before you work out.